Friday, April 3, 2009

Flashback Friday




BYU IN '82


Yes, here I am--BYU co-ed extraordinaire. Love me that checkered blazer and high necked ruffled blouse. I believe that I completed this ensemble with some very kickin' cowboy boots.

It gets better....


See that blond hair---is it screaming anything to you?!

I------- having never, ever, under any circumstances, been allowed to even THINK about dying my hair while I lived at home...


...went to college and promptly allowed the first person I met (my roommate) convince me that the road to being blond was paved with.....


Hydrogen Peroxide.


Oh yeah baby....I took it hook, line and hair that felt like fishing line.


After several applications of that turpentine wanna-be stuff, then blowing it dry--not only was I some black sheep relative of blond--


--my hair just kind of stayed like that. Wet, dry, it didn't matter really--it became kind of like a....... feathered, plastic helmet.


Its not over yet.....oh no....not by a long shot.......


Then, for reasons I still don't really understand to this day.......


I GOT A PERM.


When my hair stylist took the towel off my head he screamed like a sissy girl (which now I understand so much better) and screamed, "WHAT IN THE HELL DID YOU DO TO YOUR HAIR??!!!"


I am thinking, "Silly, scary man--I am so not tipping you"....


...Then he turned me to face the mirror.....


And, as if in a nightmare/dream I heard myself scream like a sissy girl, "WHAT IN THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY HAIR???!!!"


There in the mirror sat a white, horror stricken, mascara smeared face--


....topped off with what appeared to be...


a fountain of those little orange and red netted, dish scrubbie things.

(chore boys or girls I think they were called??!!)


After the stylist finished crying and discovered that I may or may not have been washing my hair with hydrogen peroxide----


---he very unceremoniously chopped my hair off as short as he could with out shaving my head---


---and told me that I EVER told anyone that he had EVER done my hair he would sue me---


----- and kicked me out of the salon.


Yeah, well, no tip for you buddy! Jeesh!! I don't know what his problem was, I was the one that looked like Dorothy Hamill's boyfriend.


Oh look what I found.....


an AFTER picture......



Yeah, this was after it had grown out for 6 months!!

(I obviously needed some kind of intervention--there is that blouse again)

Phew--this flashback stuff---memories--ahhh--the light--it hurts my eyes..............


23 comments:

CB said...

Snicker Snicker Snicker - First I am just laughing because I was a BYU Freshman in "82 also - Hey we may have had a class together. Did you ever go to the Star Palace - oh my! Those were the days weren't they. I think I too, had a white blouse like that - it went with everything!! ha ha
I also remember dearly perms and feathered hair of which I had both.
I did not peroxide my hair but my sister did. When she went to get a perm her hair literally melted. It was so sick!! She basically had to do the short doo too.
Thanks for the laugh and the funny memories :D

trublubyu said...

this cracks me up!

i just came across you on mmb and had to stop in to see what pic you had posted of yourself (eventhough i don't know you and any pic could be great) and you just made me chuckle.

thanks for the laugh!

Jan said...

What a complete nightmare Lisa. I can't even imagine the horror of the whole thing. I could never get myself to use that stuff. I don't know...

I love the orange analogy. Hilarious. You poor thing. Good thing you are so cute and could pull off a short hairdo.

Scrappy Girl said...

Heehee...I think we all have at least one hair nightmare story!

Nana said...

You crack me up and what makes me laugh even harder is, we have so many similar looks through the years. I never put peroxide on my hair though.

I'll have to tell you about the time Papa's dad (a barber) chopped all my hair off, then I went to a fancy schmansy place to fix it and they cut even more off. Yeah Similar look again.

Pedaling said...

i've always wanted to try a blond look.

maybe i'll pass.

so the lesson here is:
bad hair color cure is
the chopping off of the hair.

oh, dear.

funny post.

tammy said...

Thanks for the laugh! I too, was a victim of Sun-in. Why didn't anyone stop us? Your short hair pic looks cute, but if that's after six months, I'm scared to see what it looked like after he cut it. Great memory.

tiki_lady said...

LOL, oh my the memories it brings back of my own!!! Love that you shared.

Carla said...

ok, I am dying over here!!!
LOL!
Fresh out of the house, I dyed (with real dye-not peroxide) my almost black hair very light-on top of my perm.
So I had orange long frizzies.
I can just imagine what peroxide and perm looks like (just where is that picture-hmmm:)

Da Bergs said...

Omigosh, I am laughing SO hard!!! WHY do we do dumb things trying to hard to be "more beautiful"??? LOL... your hair was cute short!!! LOVE the ruffles, LOL!!!

Susan Anderson said...

Well, I admit your road to getting there was a bit rough, but that "grown out for 6 months" picture is darling!

funny story

heehee

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Your hair stories are funny, BUT you look adorable in these pictures! I wish I got through my own hair disasters looking as cute as you did with yours :-)

Mikki said...

I think you look adorable in both pictures. Love the flashback to the 80's!!

Pancake said...

LOVE it! I had the SAME clothes!!! That was so fun to go back down memory lane!

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

My sister was a freshamn in '82 at Ricks college, I sware you guys could be twins!
Just found your blog, it's really cute!
Cheers,
Susan

nikkicrumpet said...

hehehehe....I think that first picture makes you the poster girl for BYU! I love the modest dress and the farrah hair! I'm sorry you had to whack off those beautiful locks....but the story was so dang funny it was worth all your pain!

Sorenson Family said...

LOL Man these flashback Fridays are wonderful. You are soooo funnyand I always like a good laugh. Personally I think you look great with both hair dos. Very pretty girl.

chelle said...

I love the after hair. You are just a cutie not matter what your hair looks like.

M

Karen Sue said...

yeah, I did Sun In and also Lemon juice..my hair was curly and that wasn't in, so i'd wash my hair and steep in a stocking cap to try to dry it nice and flat and smooth. Such a kick to watch an old movie and see others dressed COOL like we were back when...and the kids laugh and laugh.

Shauna said...

I just tagged you at my blog :)
Hope you have a Happy Thursday!
♥ HUGS ♥

Sher said...

Yikes! I had a really bad cut and perm once. I don't know why my Mom always had me get perms because my hair was naturally curly. I'm convinced that it ruined my hair forever.

Andy - Instafather said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by.... what a great idea for a post. That hair cut in the first photo looks like it might overtake bystanders in a wild bout of follicle frenzy

DesertHen said...

I know your pain....I had hair like that too! And I used Sun-In to make my hair blond...GADS!