Monday, July 20, 2009

Carbon Dating my Lunch




Any guesses as to what this is?


What’s that you say?


“Fossilized worms?”



No.



“A shellacked pile of poo?”



So close, but….




No.




Give up?



It was my lunch.


After the cooking, before the ingestion.


My son was the chef.



Yep, uh-huh, that’s right—this very same boy—


H-e-e-y-y Sparky!


He decided that he wanted hot dogs for lunch and that they needed to be grilled not nuked. (Irony is such a cruel mistress)


I said, “Sure, why not? Anyone can BBQ a hot dog (right?) and while you’re at it, make one for me too”.

{Disclaimer: his father HAS taught him how to use the grill and Sparky has made us some GREAT hamburgers in the past—don’t judge me}

And then (smiling on the inside because of the obvious paternal support I had just given my son) off I went-- to do something important, like checking my email.


A little while later I strolled into the kitchen and was immediately accosted by a revolting smell, the like of which I am pretty sure I have never smelled before.


What in the world just died and composted itself in my kitchen??!!” I yelled.

My son came running through the kitchen door, waving the tongs like a white flag.


“Um, it’s okay Mom, it’s okay, and it’s just these…

…I kinda forgot about them and they got a little burnt.”


Understating the obvious, that’s just how we roll here in the forest.


I told him that these looked like they passed burnt, flew through charred and landed right smack dab in the middle of radioactive.


“No worries, Mom”, he said. “I’ve got some more cooking on the grill!”


WHA?!


After the initial shock wore off, I wanted to bury them—to freak out some unsuspecting archaeologist in 100 years --- but the dog had other ideas and snagged them when I wasn’t looking.



So…….what did you guys have for lunch?

17 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Okay, I admit that first batch wasn't too appetizing, but hey...he cooked you new ones, right?

What a kid!

=)

onlymehere said...

Actually I like mine with a bit of black on them, okay not this much but the boy did try!! This was too funny. Aren't kids the best!

onlymehere said...

Make that, "aren't kids the best?" not "aren't kids the best!" It's still early in my neck of the woods!

tammy said...

I'm like Onlyme...I like them a little black, but not that much. But I could still tell what they were from the photo, so that's saying something.

Mikki said...

Hey, a little charcoal is supposed to be good for the tummy isn't it?
I'd definitely give him an A for effort!
Sweet boy.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Oh, mercy...............I can borrow him for Thanksgiving dinner at my house???? I'm kinda getting sick of hosting that and would love a break. I think if your chef came to my house that will take care of that.

Jan said...

That use to be a religious practice Lisa. Burnt offerings can never be bad :)

CB said...

I have to admit that I like hot dogs that way. I peel off the black and eat what's underneath kind of like when you roast and burn a marshmallow!

Thumbs up to the cook!

Sorenson Family said...

I love Milan. I love how he jumped right in and made more. You rock Milan.

imbeingheldhostage said...

shoot, that's how I LIKE my hot dogs :-(
Marshmallows are supposed to look that way too, aren't they?

Unknown said...

Oy. He's well on his way to being a grown-up man with a BBQ. My husband spent the first 10 years of our marriage attempting to turn expensive cuts of meat into diamonds.

And the title to this post is fabulous!

hunnybunny said...

what a hoot? If he's forgetting now what's going to happen when he gets our age. :) what a cool kid!!!! at least he tries.

Da Bergs said...

HAHAHA too funny.... but what a sweet guy!

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA! I love how entertaining your blog is Lisa! and simultaneously, your son! Seriously...when did he grow up? I swear he's a baby. blink your eyes, and look what happens. LOVE YOU ALL!

Valerie said...

Glad you didn't eat those. HOw nice to have someone else cook though. :)

kado! said...

kind-a forgot them.....LOL!

that is too funny...and least he volunteers to cook!

Carla said...

As soon as I saw the pictures I knew what they were:) We have some people who like'em 'browned' (just shy of burnt), and hubby ALWAYS forgets and leaves them too long. What a cool mom you are, and what memories your making:) (cute chef also:)